Monday, May 12, 2008

The people vs. the London Metropolitan Police

Spent the day with the Canadian High Commission and the Canadian embassy in Trafalgar Square trying to recover my stolen things (which were apprehended the night of the theft adnd promptly locked in evidence). The Metropolitan Police at Charing Cross, attempted to convince us of the following points:

1. My records aren't in the computer as I was only robbed a week ago (rather than three weeks past and reported within 24 hours)
2. A summons to collect my things is in the mail (and will be sent to my Canadian address in four to six weeks)
3. There is no record of any of my items being recovered
4. There is no record of any theft at the club in the past six months
5. The nightclub does not exist

Jo met me in town to pay our rent and damage deposit in Old Street so we can finally escape West London. Our appointment with the estate agent was at 530, so we left at 430 with plenty of time. When the bus arrived at Oxford Circus, we hopped on and settled into the air-conditioned main floor.

At that exact moment, there was a brutal stabbing two hundred metres away. Oxford Street was closed and we sat in the bus for forty minutes before finally realizing we weren't going anywhere except back to W12.

No comments: