Monday, April 21, 2008

It's in the stars

I've always been down with astrology but I never found newspaper horoscopes accurate until I moved to the UK. They are freakily on-target here and especially astute when Joanna and I read them together. We share a star sign and get horoscopes like "Someone close to you is getting on your nerves but you need to support them through a difficult transition period" and so on and we don't know anyone here but one another so the "someone close to you" is always the other.

On Monday, Jo and I went to a (real) estate agency to look at [flats] in East London and fell in love with the fourth one we saw as we were chauffered by the agent, all stress free and enthusiastic about our exodus to E1. As we drove along Brick Lane Jo's eyes lit up at the curry houses, the grafitti, the bicycles and ridiculous shoes and I said "I told you you'd love it here" and she said "I told you we'd be fine if we had an agent drive us around and show us exactly where we want to live" and our horoscope said "Avoid telling someone close to you 'I told you so' because really it doesn't need to be said."

I picked up a quality magazine from the newsagent's on Thursday - Real People ("100% Real Life! Packed with puzzles! 65p!") - which boasts such Real Confessions as "I ate my school friend's dinner while she was in agony with a broken ankle!" and Jenny Blume's Weekly column "Your Stars." According to Jenny,

"High spirits could see you hitting the dance floor, but watch those delicate feet of yours. Say no to heels!" and "A night out with friends could leave you on a high, but you'll need to watch out where you wake up!"

Just in time, as Friday night is the Jew's going away party in the West End. We've been texting for the past few weeks and I saw him a while ago in Hoxton all 6'2" and steezy with Morrisey hair - basically my British ideal. He's leaving for a trip around the world this summer, India to America, and I won't see him until September. It's probably for the best as I really need to focus instead of skulking around at work with my cell phone when I'm on shop floor.

The model scout and posh Tim and his Swedish girlfriend will be there as well, and suddenly London doesn't feel so huge after all.

No comments: