Friday, April 18, 2008

Party pixx

Sick week that I can't even do justice to. So much has happened, and it makes coming to London worthwhile. It's been difficult arriving with only Joanna in my address book, but I've managed to make friends and make my way around the city.

I wound up at a Vice party at the Proud Galleries in Camden - a converted stable with rough stone floors and the ghost of hay bales in the air - with some guys who work for their bar, the Old Blue Last, in East London. They recognized me from some of Scott's pictures (lol) at The End and we're talking about doing a night there in a few months.

On Saturday, I worked the door at a warehouse party (...) in Elephant & Castle for extra cash and drink tickets and hung out with some sweet photographers and our Canadian 'family' in between guestlist and the handmade fresh fruit cocktails.

We met up last week for the surreal late night video installation at Tate Britain. Watching silhouttes of camels climbing the frames of some of the world's most famous oil paintings while light and sound shows overwhelm entire gallery halls as we drink glasses of champagne in our t-shirt dresses and high-saturation tights made a memorable evening with a group of girls who came highly recommended by our friends back home.

Aside from that, I've been spending more and more time in East London and I feel really happy there. The people are fresh and creative and ambitious and young, everyone in slims and flannels and vintage shoes.

The night before the Midnight Juggernauts show, I went to Hoxton Kitchen to meet up with the Jew and ended up at an after-hours with the DJs talking about bloggable music instead. They actually play the sort of music I want to hear (albeit with stacks of vinyl and a turntablist's timing - aka beat matching, period) and there are a ton of shows coming up that I can't wait to check out.

For example, next month is the Stag & Dagger festival in Shoreditch, a kind of club crawl where you get a wristband that lets you in to about twenty venues around the area for a year's worth of shows in one night. The line up is retarded: A Trak, Atlas Sound, Bumblebeez, Das Pop, Diplo, DJ Falcon, Drums of Death, Hot Chip, Little Boots, Lost in Paris, Muscles and SebastiAn just start the list. I can't even imagine how the night will play out!

No comments: